Tuesday 7 October 2014

Santorini Feeling


This perfectly located heaven on earth, called Santorini was always on my agenda list for places I gotta see. This volcanic island on the south of Greece is definitely a 'Must see'.

What is great about this beautiful destination, is the fact that you can easily reach it when you are on a cruise, as you can view the island within a day.

I actually went there for a week. It was sort of a last minute decision. I was visiting Athens and I decided to book a ferry ticket (as I thought it would be amazing to see other islands while being on a boat) and travel down to Santorini Paradise.

I arrived quite late at night, which made it even more exciting due to the fact that all lights around the hotels and houses were lighten up and it made this place look so magical.


I normally book hotels in advance but because October is normally a low season in Greece, I was recommended to pick the accommodation on arrival. I wasn't mistaken, there was plenty to choose from even that late at night. There is few agencies open late, waiting for tourists to get off the last ferry and you can easily choose a hotel or guest house if you like, very reasonably priced (normally Santorini would be very expensive, especially between May-September).

I picked up a villa, not far from the black sand beach, though wasn't located on the beautiful volcanic cliffs, it was very close to the beach and views from my room were amazing.

The next day when I woke up I decided to rent an ATV, which was delivered to my villa, and then I went off on the adventure around the island. Santorini is fairly small, therefore you can see pretty much everything within a day. My favourite place was city of Oia, which has all beautiful churches and cottages and obviously Fira, where you can find all 5star villas and hotels,  spread wide around the cliffs, which you can reach by tiny little paths and spend some time in restaurants and bars. Don’t be taken by a surprise if you meet a donkey when you are trying to get down to the harbour ;)  

I also really enjoyed driving around the coast, watching sunsets and checking out white and blue Santorini architecture.

The other thing I will never forget is the most delicious Greek frozen yoghurts. I think it is the best I ever had. I used to drive up to Fira just for the frozen yoghurts!

Santorini has everything you need; beautiful coast line, sunny days, beach and views, and infinity pools with views you will never see anywhere else. Possibly the only thing to watch out for is those crazy dogs running around some deserted public beaches and roads, found the dogs quite aggressive ;)

For more info on Santorini or how to get there, please feel free to contact us directly on wayoftravelbytom@gmail.com, or by visiting my Facebook Fan Page or alternatively, by leaving comments below!

Santorini on my Instagram
http://instagram.com/p/tqq9AswKOr/?modal=true

Happy Travelling!

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment